5-8/100 Days of Productivity

Ok, so I fell off. We've acknowledged it and now we can move on.

It's been approximately 5 days, depending on how benevolent or cruel you're trying to be, since I last spoke to you.  I think you can probably guess what that means.  A very undefiled game of catch-up! Huzzah!!

The biggest thing you missed over the weekend was hearing about how I murdered manslaughter another 5K this weekend.  I'm currently taking a required fitness class at my university and the coach actually offers us credit for completing or competing in races, whether they're held on or off campus. I'd participated in a 5K once before at the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend in 2010, so I figured I knew what I was getting myself into if I decided to sign up for any.  Before I knew it I'd signed up for two 5Ks back to back, one weekend after the next.  Now let's get one thing straight...I am not by any definition athletic, fit, etc.  The physical fitness journey that I began on the first day of the semester in August is very new to me.  I'm trying to be brave, try new things, learn to laugh at myself, and grow fond of failure.  I'm the type of person who doesn't like to go to the gym because of the eyes.  I hate it when people stare at me, especially if I don't feel confident in what I'm doing.  This fitness class means having to look weak in front of many pairs of eyes.  Sometimes it means being placed in the company of very athletic people and feeling inadequate or as if I  don't belong.  But, the fact of the matter is, each time I put myself out there I'm getting a little bit better. And each person that I envy that can lift heavy or run a 7-minute mile was where I am today at some point.  Not only that, but there are things that I can do that some of those people can only dream of.  We all have our own strengths and weaknesses.  Anywho, I completed my first 5K of the semester on Oct. 29th with a time of 43 minutes and change. I do a LOT of walking, and these Tennessee hills are no joke.  My 2nd 5K took me something like 44:21. (For those who don't know, 5 kilometers = 3.11 miles so that works about to be about 15 minutes per mile.)  Thinking back on the day and how unprepared and uncomfortable I felt, I can't be mad at that number.  Between the 2 race days I didn't hit the track once!! That's the opposite of training.  I remember having awful side stitches for a good 1/3 to 1/2 of the course, too.  And to top it off, I had a late and gluttonous breakfast at Cracker Barrel just before we got going! Smh.  Don't follow my example in any way, shape or form --  at least, except for the part where I went out there and tried!

One of the things I love most about these events is making little "race pals" on the course.  Many of the people who run or walk in these events are being brave and trying something new, just like me.  There's a lot of encouragement shared between all of the participants and everyone just wants each other to make themselves proud.  Even though your body hurts and you wonder why you paid money to endure this torture, it's hard not to have a good time overall.  As if the experience and boost in self-confidence I felt weren't enough, as I was getting ready to leave the event grounds there were names being called over the loudspeaker.  There were giving out the rewards.  Can someone tell me how and/or why from way off in the distance I hear my name called?? I was in complete shock.  I finished at the end with all of the uninterested folk and the old peoples.  But they called my name! I'm pretty sure I audibly said "Nuh uh!" when I heard it.  I briskly made my way back toward the makeshift stage (a flat trailer attached to a pickup truck), meanwhile they're repeating my name and scanning to crowd to see if anyone is stirring.  I finally made my way up front and got my 2nd place medal for the 2nd fastest time out of the women ages 20-24.  I felt like Charlie Bucket with his golden ticket.  I wore both my completion medal and my 2nd place medal proudly and I think it was then that I realized I want to do this..A LOT.  When I complete a 5K, or even just a strenuous workout, I'm exhausted but my pride is through the roof.  There's something so special about doing something difficult and coming out on the other side knowing that you tackled it all by yourself.  No one helped you, you didn't stop, you just kept putting one foot in front of the other.



What is your health or fitness story like?  Are you athletic or notsomuch, like myself?  Which sports, if any, do you enjoy?  Is there anything athletic that you hope to be fit enough to try someday?


Do you have any recommendations for me, a fitness newbie? I'm always open to suggestions on technique, apparel, apps and trackers, etc.

I hope to be able to share many more successes like this one with you are the days, week, and months pass.  Currently, my next 5K is scheduled for December 2nd.  It'll be here before I know it! Here's to more time on the track, a better breathing technique, and willpower on those chilly days when I can't get out of bed!

xoxo, Bee

No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig